Sister M. Gabriel Lazarski – 75 years of religious life!
Sister M. Gabriel Lazarski was born on January 10, 1926, in Chicago, Illinois. She entered religious life on February 2, 1947, and professed her vows on August 12, 1949. As a novice for the Franciscan Sisters of Chicago in 1948, Sister Gabriel began working in the dining room and infirmary at St. Joseph Home in Chicago, (now called St. Joseph’s Village). Sister was then assigned to work in the ministry of education in 1949, when she started her first teaching position at St. Florian in Chicago, teaching second grade.
From 1950 to 1954, Sister taught first and second grade at St. Stanislaus Bishop and Martyr in Chicago, then taught first and second grade at Assumption in New Chicago, Indiana, from 1954 to 1959, and taught second grade at St. Louise de Marillac in LaGrange, Illinois, in 1959. Her teaching ministry took her to teaching first grade at Blessed Sacrament in Gary, Indiana, from 1960 to 1965, seventh and eighth grade at St. Joseph in East Chicago, Indiana, from 1965 to 1968, and seventh and eighth grade at Sacred Heart in Gary, Indiana, in 1969. During this time she also completed her Bachelor of Science in Education degree at St. Joseph College in Rensselaer, Indiana. In 1969, Sister Gabriel was named principal at Five Holy Martyrs in Chicago and served ther until 1974. Sister Gabriel was called to leadership in the Franciscan Sisters of Chicago as a General Councilor for two terms (1974 - 1985). During that time, she was also the Apostolate Coordinator (1976 - 1977), Retirement Coordinator (1977 - 1979), and motherhouse superior (1977 - 1979). While continuing the role of general councilor, Sister returned to teaching in 1979 when she was assigned to teach eighth grade at St. Stanislaus Bishop and Martyr in Chicago and also served as the local superior (1979 - 1982), assistant principal (1980 - 1981), and then principal (1982 - 1985). During this time, Sister Gabriel received her Masters of Education Degree in Administration and Supervision at Loyola University in 1983. She also served on the boards of St. Joseph Home and Madonna High School.
From 1985 to 1987, Sister served as the first Director of Mission Effectiveness at St. Anthony Medical Center in Crown Point, Indiana. She returned to the motherhouse in Lemont as the Novice Director and Formation Minister until 1990. In 1990, Sister became the Director of Religious Education at Five Holy Martyrs in Chicago. She served there until 1993, while also volunteering part time at the Port Ministry, a ministry that provides various services for impoverished people. Sister Gabriel became the Director of the Mission Integration Program in 1993 at St. Joseph Home in Chicago and served in that role until 2006. Sister then assisted in various roles at St. Joseph Home and Madonna Convent. Sister Gabriel retired in 2012. She received the Franciscan Federation Peacemaker Award in 2013. Congratulations to Sister M. Gabriel Lazarski on 75 years of religious life!
Sister M. Gabriel Lazarski